Where do I serve notice to complete after the death of a buyer?

I’m acting for sellers in a conveyancing transaction and have exchanged contracts. The buyer has now unfortunately died, and I must serve a notice to complete. Where do I serve the notice?

If it’s necessary to serve a notice to complete in a situation where the delay is caused by the death of a contracting party, the notice should be addressed to the deceased and their personal representatives at the deceased’s last known address.

A further copy of the notice should be served on the Public Trustee:

The Public Trustee
Victory House
30-34 Kingsway

For more information, see our Conveyancing Handbook (27th edition).


While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this article, it does not constitute legal advice and cannot be relied upon as such. The Law Society does not accept any responsibility for liabilities arising as a result of reliance upon the information given.

Have you got a practice question?

Call the Practice Advice Service on 020 7320 5675 or email

The Practice Advice Service is staffed Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Maximise your Law Society membership with My LS