- My LS
Evidence to select committee on rule of law in South America
On 30 April, our international human rights adviser Dr Marina Brilman gave evidence to the Foreign Affairs Select Committee on the rule of law and human rights in South America.
We submitted written evidence to the committee in November 2018.
The main subjects addressed in the session were:
- regional challenges to the Inter-American system of human rights by PROSUR member states and lack of financing
- the rise in attacks against lawyers and human rights defenders in Colombia, especially after the signing of the peace agreement
- challenges by the Colombian government to the Special Jurisdiction for Peace
- the lack of effective protection measures in Colombia for lawyers and human rights defenders
- the breakdown of judicial independence and rule of law in Venezuela
- human rights violations committed in Venezuela by state authorities, including the use of military jurisdiction over civilians