- My LS
Expert meeting on judicial independence in New York
From 9 to 11 February 2019, our international human rights adviser, Dr Marina Brilman, participated in an expert meeting on judicial independence in New York, upon invitation of the UN special rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers.
Dr Brilman spoke on the role of bar associations and law societies in supporting judicial independence.
Other participants included:
- the chief justice of the Supreme Court of Chile
- the vice-president of the Superior Tribunal of Justice of Brasil
- the chief justice of the Federal Supreme Court of Ethiopia
- presidents of the International Association of Judges
- European Association of Judges
- International Association of Women Judges
- former judge of the Constitutional Court of South Korea
- the executive secretary of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights
- United States Circuit Court judges
- the secretary-general of the Venice Commission of the Council of Europe
- the former public prosecutor of South Africa
- dthe eputy chief of the rule of law unit of the OSCE
- International Commission of Jurists
- Due Process of Law Foundation
- Transparency International
This expert meeting was organised by the Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, together with the New York City Bar Association and the UN OHCHR.
For more information, see the Konrad Adenauer Stiftung website.