- My LS
Join the 24-hour rule of law webathon
We're co-hosting a 24-hour webathon dedicated to addressing the challenges to the rule of law worldwide. The UK will kick this off with a rule of law discussion on Tuesday 4 May 2021 at 3pm (GMT).
The rule of law is the fabric of society. It safeguards:
- human rights
- contributes to economic opportunities
- ensures sustainable development
- protects fundamental freedoms
24-hour rule of law webathon
For this event, we're joining forces with organisations including:
- Union Internationale de Avocats (UIA)
- American Bar Association – Section of International Law (AIJA-SIL)
- International Association of Young Lawyers – Human Rights Committee (AIJA HRC)
The event will run from 4 May 2021 at 3pm (GMT) to 5 May 2021. There will be 12 rule of law panels from across the globe streamed live from a YouTube channel.
The UK rule of law colloquium
The UK will kick off the webathon with a rule of law colloquium on 4 May 2021 at 3pm (GMT).
We will discuss the:
- rule of law and the importance for strong judiciaries
- significance for foreign policy
- impact on economic development
- relevance for tackling corruption
- effects of the pandemic
- Law Society president I. Stephanie Boyce
- The Right Honourable Justice Robin Knowles CBE
- Her Honour Judge Joanna Korner CMG, QC of the International Criminal Court
- Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office legal adviser Sir Ian Macleod
- Former lord mayor of London and former Law Society president Dame Fiona Woolf
- LexisNexis executive vice president and general counsel Ian McDougall
Christoph Sicking, deputy general counsel for the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), and chair of the Law Society’s International Committee.
Live stream the rule of law webathon
Date: 4 May 2021
Time: 3pm to 5pm