- My LS
Joint fact-finding mission to Guatemala
Our international programmes manager, Lizzette Robleto de Howarth, joined forces with leading rule of law organisations on a fact-finding mission to Guatemala.
From 1 to 7 December 2019, Lizzette travelled with Lauren McIntosh from the International Legal Assistance Consortium (ILAC) and Jaime Chavez Alor from the Vance Center for International Justice to Guatemala.
Their visit was to examine the impact of the closure of the Commission Against Impunity in Guatemala (CICIG), in light of the recommendations made in ILAC’s Judicial Assessment report of May 2018.
Throughout the week they met with more than 20 organisations and interviewed a wide range of stakeholders including:
- constitutional court magistrates
- judges (including prosecutors and members of the high risk tribunals)
- UN High Commission for Human Rights
- International Commission of Jurists
- Guatemalan Association of Judges for Integrity (AGJI)
- Myrna Mack Foundation
- Accion Ciudadana
- Human Rights Ombudsman
- Office of the Special Prosecutor against Impunity
- Pro Bono Foundation Guatemala lawyers
We’re grateful to all participants for sharing their views about the situation in the country.
We also appreciate the support provided by the British Embassy in Guatemala and, particularly, the new British ambassador Nick Whittingham.