- My LS
Support for individual solicitors
We’re aware that some solicitors are facing difficulties in their careers due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis.
This could include solicitors going through the redundancy process or uncertainty due to the end of furlough.
As part of our Reset, Resilience and Recovery campaign, we’ve developed a support package for individual solicitors below.
Free careers clinic
We offer a free careers clinic where you’ll get a one-to-one consultation with an expert career coach or legal recruiter.
Each one-to-one appointment lasts up to 40 minutes and will be scheduled from 9.30am to 5.30pm.
Appointments will take place via telephone, or Zoom for individuals based overseas (subject to prior agreement).
Dates available in 2021:
- 14 October
- 2 November
- 11 November
- 8 December
- 15 December
Who is the clinic suitable for?
- Paralegals completing the Legal Practice Course (LPC) (including those completing qualifying work experience)
- Trainee solicitors
- Qualified solicitors (including those admitted overseas)
- Returners and career changers who are considering a switch to law
Solicitors going through redundancy will get a priority slot.
Our careers consultants can share sector insight and offer objective practical advice and tips on the following areas:
- CVs, applications and interviews
- job search strategies
- career planning, including progression or changing career direction
- options for trainees approaching qualification
- options for overseas lawyers to work in England and Wales
- how to plan a return to practice after a career break
- how to work more flexibly, including options for a portfolio career
- how to break into law as a career changer
- how to leave practice and change careers
Our consultants are not qualified to offer:
- tax advice
- regulatory advice
- business consulting services on setting up your own firm or working as a freelance lawyer
- advice on applications for practising certificates
- advice on professional indemnity insurance
For further enquiries or to book a place, email email@example.com with your preferred date and time slot.
Read our articles on:
- career options for solicitors
- changing career direction
- help to progress your career
- advice about changing roles
- guidance on how to work differently
Lawtech will play a vital role in driving the post-coronavirus recovery across all sectors of the economy, including legal services. We hold regular sessions giving an introduction to lawtech, and offer bespoke sessions on legal technology and GDPR.
Register your interest by emailing Andrew McWhir.
Insight on the legal services market
LexisNexis has released its first Gross Legal Product Index, which analyses the impact of COVID-19 on the legal sector.
The report concluded that lockdown has had a negative impact on some practice areas, such as residential conveyancing, commercial real estate and immigration.
However, it also showed that other practice areas are accelerating their recent strong growth, including employment law and company law.
Mental health hub
Going through career uncertainty can affect your mental health and wellbeing.
We offer one-on-one support through LawCare and a series of online resources to build resilience and manage stress:
Redundancy legal advice
You may also find this government information on your redundancy rights useful.