As lockdown eases, law firms and organisations are considering making changes to their business structures, workforces, premises and systems.
These resources can help organisations make decisions for the future.
Our insight shows that law firms are focusing on implementing the government’s guidance to re-open their doors in the next few months.
These resources will help organisations with this process:
- return to the office toolkit (includes template COVID risk assessment)
- practical framework on the government’s guidance on return to the office
Other firms and organisations are considering significant changes to their operations. These articles consider the pros and cons of each option:
- making remote working permanent, setting up as a virtual/dispersed firm or joining an existing virtual firm
Managing your people
Workforce planning should be a central part of your organisation’s strategy. This guidance can contribute to help you make informed decisions:
- employment law guidance on return to the office as lockdown eases
- practice note on employment law implications of reorganising your law firm (includes guidance on redundancy)
- guidance on furlough for law firms
- how to motivate teams working remotely
- practice note on trainees and supervision
- guidance on apprentices
Practical support and business advice
Our carefully chosen partners offer members relevant and appropriate support and advice for your business as you negotiate the process of returning to a 'new normal'.
From cybersecurity and avoiding the potential risks of remote IT systems to managing finance, or advice on wellness and motivating teams, our partners are ideally placed to provide members the support they need.
Updating your systems and adopting lawtech
Technology has been a crucial part for law firms and organisations to deliver client services during lockdown.
Lawtech will play a vital role in driving the post-coronavirus recovery across all sectors of the economy, including legal services.
These resources can help you with the next steps of building resilience and capability of your organisation:
- lawtech contract negotiations
- cybersecurity, fraud prevention and lawtech hub
- practice note on lawtech
- practice note on scams
- Barclays Eagle LawTech Lab
- partners offers: We’re working with partners that are offering lawtech products and services that could help in running your firm during the coronavirus pandemic
- Lawtech Adoption Research report
- returning to the office: 10 cybersecurity steps you must take first
Mechanics of closing deals
Electronic signatures and virtual execution of documents have enabled deals to be closed and business to keep moving during lockdown.
These resources will help practitioners to use these methods effectively:
- tips on virtual execution of documents
- Lexis Nexis protocol for virtual statutory declarations
- practice note on execution of a document using an electronic signature
- practice note on execution of documents by virtual means
Managing cash flow and loss of income
Preservation of cash flow and mitigating loss income will be a central part of you updated strategy.
Our Law Management Section is producing a strategy for managing in recession.
Other useful articles are:
- cashflow considerations for small firms
- top tips for firms to preserve your cashflow
- taking up the coronavirus financial assistance schemes
An exit strategy might be needed to close your firm. These resources will help you with implementing this decision:
- practice note on closing down your practice
- SRA guidance on closing down your practice
- practice note on professional indemnity insurance
- practice note on residual client balances and compliance with the Accounts Rules
- practice note on file closure management
- practice note on file retention: trusts
- practice note on file retention: wills and probate