Law Society library
Our library remains closed to members until 2021. We continue to operate a remote enquiry and document delivery service between 10am and 4pm.
Our library remains closed to members due to coronavirus (COVID-19) as keeping our staff and members safe is our priority. In addition our building at Chancery Lane is being refurbished and will not reopen until 2021.
Currently library staff can provide copies and research from our unique hardcopy collection.
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the librarians on 020 7320 5946.
We look forward to welcoming you when we reopen.
Call: 020 7320 5946
You can contact us from 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.
Follow us on Twitter @LSlawlibrary
We're pleased to announce that members can access the Law Reports and Weekly Law Reports for free until 30 November by registering with ICLR at Remote ICLR Online offer for Law Society members.
Search our library catalogue and find out more about our collection of legal textbooks, legislation, law reports, journals and subscription databases.
Our team of librarians carry out tailored research to help you find the information you need.
We can send you precedents, cases, journal articles, legislation and commentary.
You can use our computers to access:
- our subscription databases
- Microsoft Office
- the internet
You can also work on your own devices using our wifi and power points around the library.
Self-service printers and photocopiers cost 20p per A4 sheet. These accept coins or photocopy cards, which you can buy from the enquiry desk.
If you’re a member, QLTS student or work for a law firm or legal department, you can use our subscription databases:
- JustisOne – original legislation, case transcripts, case citator and precedent map
- LexisLibrary – textbook commentary, forms and precedents, current legislation, cases and journals
- LexisPSL – practice notes, forms and precedents, checklists and practical guidance
- Public Information Online – parliamentary and official documents
- WestlawUK – current legislation, cases, journal articles, legal journals index and news
Visiting the library
You can find us at the Law Society's offices at Chancery Lane.
You can access our library and services if you’re:
- a member of the Law Society
- visiting on behalf of a solicitor (for example, a trainee, librarian or paralegal)
- an LPC student or on a ‘top up’ course (such as an LLM)
You’ll need to apply for a non-member pass if you're not eligible to visit for free.
Our library is on the first floor of the Law Society. You can access it by lift from the entrance hall on 113 Chancery Lane.
We have specialist software and equipment that can help users with visual impairments to access our collections and online resources.
If you need us to make any adjustments, let us know before you arrive so we can make your visit as easy as possible.
When you arrive
You’ll need to show one of the following:
- your Law Society membership card
- your current practising certificate
- a business card from a law firm showing your name and job title
- an email from our library staff agreeing to give you access
- a letter from a solicitor on headed paper which authorises your visit – you can use the template below
- proof that you're enrolled on an LPC or LLM course
No other legal courses qualify for free access.
If you’re a Qualified Lawyer Transfer Scheme (QLTS) student, you must apply for a non-member pass to use our library and subscription databases.
Please give [full name] access to the Law Society library on [date] in order to use the facilities on our firm's behalf.
I confirm that I am a solicitor admitted to the Roll, SRA number [.........].
Contact me on [telephone number] if you require further information.
Applying for a non-member pass
Complete our application form to let us know why you’d like to use our library. We’ll process your application and let you know if you can visit us.
Applications and payment must be made before your visit.
|Length of pass||Cost|
|One day||£20 + VAT|
|One week*||£50 + VAT|
|One month**||£100 + VAT|
*Five consecutive days that our library is open
**One calendar month
You can pay for your non-member pass by:
- credit/debit card
- cheque (payable to the Law Society)
Bring photo ID such as a driving licence or passport with you when you visit our library.
We have the right to refuse admission and we cannot give legal advice.