Parliamentary briefing: Criminal justice system in crisis
The Law Society is concerned about our crumbling criminal justice system.
It faces a number of challenges, including:
- increasing shortages of criminal duty solicitors
- a restrictive means test for criminal legal aid
- inefficiencies in the system
- more and more courts being closed
- crucial evidence often not being disclosed.
This briefing sets out our recommendations for the urgent changes needed to ensure the criminal justice system remains sustainable.