You are here:
  1. Home
  2. Support services
  3. Help for solicitors
  4. Practice Advice Service
  5. Q and As
  6. Which completion certificates are required from a seller?

Which completion certificates are required from a seller?

I act for the buyer of a residential property. Which completion certificates are required from a seller pursuant to the Law Society Property Information Form (TA6)?

The seller's solicitors should provide completion certificates for the following works:

- glazed windows, roof windows, roof lights or glazed doors that were installed on or after 1 April 2002.

- electrical work that was carried out on or after 1 January 2005.

- a central heating system or renewable energy system that was installed or other changes that were made to the water or plumbing system on or after 1 April 2005.

Competent person schemes were introduced to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with building regulations as an alternative to submitting a building notice or using an approved inspector. A contractor needs to register with a scheme approved by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG).

Contractors registered with the following bodies may be competent persons, able to self-certify their work:

- Windows: FENSA or Certass  

- Electrics: ELECSA, NICEIC or NAPIT

- Gas: Gas Safe Register  

- Solid fuel: HETAS  

- Oil: Oftec

The above are some of the more common completion certificates, but it should be noted that other property specific issues may require other certificates or consents.

For further information, please see the Law Society’s Conveyancing Handbook (24th edition) and the Law Society Conveyancing Protocol.

Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this article, it does not constitute legal advice and cannot be relied upon as such. The Law Society does not accept any responsibility for liabilities arising as a result of reliance upon the information given.

Have you got a practice question? Call the Practice Advice Service on 020 7320 5675 or email

The Practice Advice Service is staffed Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Back to Question List


Conveyancing Quality Scheme Accreditation
Conveyancing Quality Scheme

Awarded to law firms that meet the required standards of technical expertise and client service in conveyancing with its CQS accreditation. Look out for it on Find a Solicitor search results.

Conveyancing Quality Scheme > More