The Lawyers with Disabilities Division was set up to help improve and support the experiences of disabled solicitors in the profession, and we are looking for new members to join the division's committee.
This appointment is open to anyone who identifies as disabled.
Our aim is to create a committee that accurately represents the diversity of the profession as a whole. Therefore, if you are a trainee, a newly qualified solicitor, a senior solicitor or a senior partner within a firm or in-house we want to hear from you.
We also accept applications from aspiring solicitors, academics and advocates for disabled people in the profession and people within post-graduate education.
Who we are
The Lawyers with Disabilities Division promotes equal opportunities for people with disabilities within the legal profession. The division encourages solicitors to use their experiences and expertise to support aspiring solicitors or colleagues seeking to progress in the legal sector.
- we help members secure work placements
- we provide an opportunity for those working in the legal sector to make their voice heard to the Law Society, local law societies, the profession, government and other policy makers
- we lobby for legislation to protect members' rights.
What we do
The Committee provides members with an opportunity to:
- discuss issues concerning the profession, in particular those that affect disabled solicitors
- benefit from training, advice, and career guidance
- network and connect with other disabled lawyers
- ensure their views are heard
- contribute to campaigns, lobbying activities and consultation
- you must have a clean record/regulatory history with the SRA
- be able to demonstrate a sound understanding of the issues facing disabled solicitors
- be able to outline ideas for the development of the division's services
You will have:
- creative and forward-thinking ideas for events, articles, projects or social media posts on how to tackle these issues within finite resources.
- a track record of collaborative working whilst contributing to inclusivity and diversity issues either as an employee or as a volunteer
Appointments will be based on merit, following an open and clear selection process. If you require any reasonable adjustments at the application stage, please contact LDD@lawsociety.org.uk.
The deadline for applications is Friday 5 July 2019.
Short listing of candidates will be anonymised.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend an interview at the Law Society on Wednesday 17 July 2019. Committee members will be appointed by Monday 22 July 2019.
Please send your completed application to LDD@lawsociety.org.uk
Please let us know if you require any assistance with completing your application or if you require it in an alternative format.