Emily Cooper, the Law Society's Women in Leadership in Law project manager, explains why she thinks you should attend our international symposium on gender equality in June.
The power of gender equality to transform the business of law: an international symposium, 20-21 June 2019, Hilton Bankside, London
This two day-conference is designed to bring together professionals from across the legal profession and other sectors to identify steps needed to achieve gender equality in the workplace, crucial to boost growth, innovation and productivity.
It will also mark the centenary of women being admitted to practice law in the UK and celebrate the successes of women in law globally.
The journey so far
Women have made up over half of practising solicitors since 2018, but the profession continues to be led predominately by men.
Around the globe, the senior levels of law firms do not truly reflect the reality of a profession with a significant female majority at the point of entry.
To better understand the key issues that affect women working in law, we conducted a survey that ran from November 2017 to January 2018 and captured 7,781 responses from men and women.
Using the key findings from this survey, we hosted or supported 225 roundtable discussions domestically, and in 13 jurisdictions, with women from across the legal profession including business leaders, solicitors, in-house counsel, barristers, academics and members of the judiciary.
Read the report in full
Men’s roundtables continue to be held and, although data is still being analysed, initial findings show that they are committed to being male champions for change and are willing to take decisive action to ensure meaningful steps are being made towards securing equality in the profession.
Influence change, challenge bias and work towards an inclusive future of law
We are now looking forward to our international symposium - the power of gender equality to transform the business of law - which will take place on the 20 and 21 June at the Hilton Bankside.
What will attending the symposium mean for me?
This conference is designed to bring together industry experts and legal professionals from UK and international practices together.
Be inspired by the successes of women who have broken down barriers and become leaders in their fields, and by the men who champion change in their profession.
Event programme highlights
- Gain insight on the barriers to gender equality in the legal profession nationally and globally from a host of expert speakers
- Learn practical skills to overcome barriers in the legal profession
- Understand potential future developments and best practice solutions identified from the Law Society’s extensive research
- Benefit from numerous networking opportunities with influencers, thought leaders and other legal professionals
- Attend fringe events, which will include small group or one-to-one CV clinics, speed networking, brain-storming and strategy sessions
- Become an active part of a global movement as we launch the Women in Law Charter - a joint initiative with Ministry of Justice
- Farmida Bi, chair of Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
- Rt Hon David Gauke MP, justice secretary and lord chancellor
- Hanim Hamzah, managing partner at ZICO Law
- Teresa Cheng Yeuk-wah, secretary for justice for Hong Kong
- Unconscious bias - what role do you play in changing the agenda
- Accountability - setting measurable objectives for gender balance
- Beyond gender diversity - the future of the profession
So be part of the solution and book your place today.
For further information, visit our webpage or call us on 020 7316 570.