- My LS
Coronavirus (COVID 19): wellbeing and mental health resources
Promoting and supporting good mental health and wellbeing for solicitors is a key priority for the Law Society.
We’re aware that the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and the social distancing measures are having a significant impact on the profession. We’ve put together a set of resources to help you and your teams.
LawCare is a charity specialising in mental health and wellbeing for the legal community.
Its helpline is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5.30pm: 0800 279 6888
LawCare’s live chat is available on:
- Tuesday and Wednesday from 1.15pm to 5.30pm
- Thursday from 9am to 1.15pm
Resources for practitioners
Blogs and articles:
- Working from home: Stay fit, stay sane, stay in
- Practising mindfulness in a pandemic
- Look at yourself – causes and symptoms of stress by Elizabeth Rimmer
- We need to open up to each other to save lives by Elizabeth Rimmer
- Practical tips for returners during COVID-19
- Surviving or thriving? Researching wellbeing and mental health in the legal profession by Professor Richard Collier
- Trauma exposure in law: What you need to know and do by Caroline Marlow
- It's good to talk by Nick O'Neill
Resources for managers
- Supporting wellbeing in the workplace: Guidance for best practice
- Supervision: good practice for remote supervision of junior staff and trainee solicitors
Blogs and features:
- Supervising trainee solicitors during coronavirus
- Picture of health by Lucy Trevelyan – what can law firms do to help their people with stress and to create and support a mentally healthy workplace
- Under pressure by Paul Bennett – how managers in law firms can support their staff to mitigate mental health problems and their effects
- Law in lockdown: Leadership and compassion – video (one hour)
This series of three 60 minute live webinars is ideal for anyone working in the legal sector who wants to increase their capacity to manage stress, proactively support their mental health and resilience, and cultivate sustainable levels of high performance.
Date: 17, 24 September and 1 October 2021
Time: 12pm to 1pm
This series of two 90-minute live webinars will help attendees to understand the psychology of high performers. It will also help develop effective practices to promote a more positive mental health culture within law firms/organisations, secure boardroom buy-in, and ensure mental health champions and first aiders are being optimally utilised.
Date: 14 and 21 October 2021
Time: 12pm to 1.30pm