- My LS
European Lawyers Day 2019: Legal aid in criminal matters
This podcast marks European Lawyers Day 2019. This year, the focus is on the right to legal aid in criminal matters and access to a lawyer when detained in prison.
Our distinguished panel of experts met to explore the current situation across England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, comparing common law adversarial systems with civil law jurisdictions on the continent.
- Richard Atkinson, co-chair of the Law Society’s Criminal Law Committee
- Simon Creighton, partner at Bhatt Murphy Solicitors
- Suzanne Rice, president of the Law Society of Northern Ireland
- Gillian Mawdsley, secretary of the Law Society of Scotland’s Criminal Law Committee
- Ed Cape, emeritus professor at the University of the West of England