- My LS
Webinar: Singapore-UK legal sector post-COVID-19
On 10 November 2020, we organised a webinar in collaboration with the British Expertise International (BEI) on the Singapore-UK legal sector after COVID-19.
Who took part?
The event was chaired by Tom Cargill, chief executive officer at BEI.
Our international policy manager took part as a key speaker and provided introductory remarks.
The panel featured key legal market experts, including:
- Donna Evans, international policy manager at the Law Society of England and Wales
- Tien Gui Koh, partner at Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (BCLP), Singapore – providing the UK perspective
- Yvonne Foo, partner at Harry Elias Partnership, Singapore – providing a Singaporean law firm’s point of view
- Justinian Habner, deputy director of the British High Commission (Singapore) – providing an update from a UK government perspective
What we discussed
The topics of discussion included:
- the future of UK-Singapore collaboration after the pandemic
- what future partnerships between the two countries look like and opportunities for UK businesses
- what ‘building back better’ might mean in the legal sector
- how the collaboration between the two jurisdictions has led to a spur in the development of local commercial firms, and helped Singapore establish itself as a regional hub for legal systems
We also discussed our policy and international work, and our strong interest in engagement with Singapore and the benefits of UK law.
The online event was followed by a Q&A session with the panel members answering live queries.
The session was very engaging with excellent queries and remarks received from the participants.
We attracted high-quality registrations for the event from across Singapore and the UK including participants from:
- key Singaporean and UK legal firms
- the UK’s Ministry of Justice (MoJ)
- the Victorian Bar
- private organisations from Singapore and the UK
Watch a recording of the webinar (for BEI members)
Get in touch
If you need more information or are interested in our work in Singapore, email our international policy adviser (South Asia and ASEAN) Preeti Sawhney.