- My LS
Virtual International Weekend 2020, 26 September
Make sure you save the date and book your place for this year’s International Weekend, which will be held on Saturday 26 September 2020.
Due to the worldwide coronavirus pandemic the annual International Weekend will not be going ahead as a face-to-face event. However, we did not want to miss the opportunity to mark the annual International Weekend and are delighted to be able to host a virtual event on 26 September instead.
What is International Weekend?
International Weekend is an annual event organised by:
- the Junior Lawyers Division of the Law Society of England and Wales
- the European Young Bar Association
- the London Young Lawyers Group
- Middle Temple Young Barristers’ Association
International Weekend ordinarily provides delegates with a mix of technical and legal presentations, skills-based seminars, an overview of the legal system in England and Wales and an introduction to the City of London.
It’s an opportunity to meet fellow junior lawyers from across Europe and even further afield, discover the best that London has to offer, enjoy a stimulating educational programme and benefit from crucial networking.
This year we’re unable to offer the full International Weekend experience but we’re still keen to provide a forum where junior lawyers from international jurisdictions can meet and learn together. This is particularly important in the current climate where junior lawyers from around the globe have all been impacted by the pandemic giving the opportunity to learn from a shared experience.
Who should attend?
International Weekend is aimed at junior lawyers from overseas jurisdictions, including those who are on secondment in the UK. It is an opportunity for junior lawyers in the UK to meet and network with their international counterparts as well as learn about topics that have an international reach.
Outline programme (subject to change)
Timings in British Standard Time (BST)
- 10.30am to 10.45am – welcome addresses
- 10.50am to 11.05am – keynote address
- 11.10am to 11.45am – the future of the legal profession in different jurisdictions in light of COVID-19
- 11.50am to 12.35pm – lunch break and private chat networking
- 12.40pm to 1.30pm – quiz
- 1.35pm to 2.05pm – wellbeing for junior lawyers in a digital age
- 2.10pm to 2.40pm – how to successfully win new business and/or make a pitch in a virtual world
- 2.45pm to 3.00pm – closing remarks
- 3.00pm to 3.15pm - interval
- 3.15pm to 4.15pm – European Young Bar Association (EYBA) General Meeting
- 5.00pm to 6.00pm – post event e-soiree (see details below)
There will be a number of great speakers at this event - download the speaker profiles (PDF 187KB) to get a first look.
The event is free but places are limited so booking is essential.
Book your place
To book your place for the International Weekend programme, please register here. Bookings close 48 hours before the start date.
Following the close of the formal International Weekend programme you are invited to attend a networking e-soiree via Zoom.
Saturday 26 September 2020, 5pm (BST) / 6pm (CET)
This will be an opportunity to network with your international peers.
The sign-up to attend the e-soiree networking is completely separate from the main International Weekend event. Please follow the sign-up link here.
You will be added to the delegate list and sent the Zoom details together with the meeting joining link nearer the time. If you have any further questions about the e-soiree please email the London Young Lawyers Group.
This event is hosted by the London Young Lawyers Group, European Young Bar Association, Junior Lawyers Division and the Middle Temple Young Barristers Association.