- My LS
Annual general meeting 2021: preliminary notice
The annual general meeting (AGM) of members of the Law Society is scheduled to be held at the Law Society's Hall on Thursday 14 October 2021 at approximately 3pm (to be confirmed).
The start time of the AGM will be confirmed in our final notice. Members will also be able to attend the AGM virtually, and further details of how to attend virtually will be provided in September.
The time will be confirmed on our website in the final notice. These arrangements are subject to the relevant COVID restrictions in force at the time of the AGM.
Bye-law 20 provides that the business at an annual general meeting shall be as follows, and shall be taken in the order listed:
- the chair shall be taken under bye-law 29, and the notice convening the meeting taken as read
- approval of the minutes of the previous general meeting
- declaration of persons elected as members of the Council
- reception of the annual report of the Council
- approval of the accounts signed by the auditors (published on the website in summary form)
- any business introduced by the Council
- appropriate motions under bye-law 18(1), the text of which has been published under bye-law 19(2)
- any other business which may, consistent with the charter and bye-laws, be introduced
Bye-law 18(1) provides that 30 or more members, or the president and secretary of a local law society authorised to do so, may give written notice of an appropriate motion to be moved at the AGM.
The notice may be accompanied by a statement of not more than 1,000 words relating to the motion.
Under bye-law 20(1)(g), only "appropriate" motions may be included in the notice of the AGM, that is to say motions which in the opinion of the Council relate in substance to a matter affecting the affairs of the Law Society or of the solicitors' profession (see also bye-law 1(1)).
The last day by which, in accordance with bye-law 18(2), notice of any motion to be moved at the AGM should be received by the chief executive, the Law Society's Hall, 113 Chancery Lane, London, WC2A 1PL (DX 56 Lon/Ch Lane) is 5pm on Wednesday 1 September 2021.
The final notice will be published no later than Tuesday 14 September 2021.
The Law Society's Hall
113 Chancery Lane
London WC2A 1PL
2 July 2021