Annual general meeting 2022 – preliminary notice
The annual general meeting (AGM) of Law Society members is scheduled to be held at the Law Society's Hall on Wednesday 12 October 2022 at 2.15pm.
The start time of the AGM will be confirmed.
Members who wish to attend the meeting in person will need to notify us by midnight on Wednesday 5 October by email to email@example.com so suitable arrangements for accommodation can be made.
A reminder of these details will be provided in September.
Members will also be able to attend the AGM virtually using Microsoft Teams. Further details of how to attend virtually will be provided in September.
These arrangements are subject to the relevant COVID restrictions in force at the time of the AGM.
Under bye-law 20(1), the business at the AGM shall be as follows:
- the chair shall be taken under bye-law 29 and the notice convening the meeting taken as read
- approval of the minutes of the previous AGM
- announcement of the Council elections results
- reception of the annual report of the Council
- approval of the accounts as signed by the auditors
- any business introduced by the Council
- appropriate motions under bye-law 18(1), the text of which has been published under bye-law 19(2)
- any other business which may, consistent with the Charter and bye-laws, be introduced
Bye-law 18(1) provides that 30 or more members, or the president and secretary of a local law society authorised to do so, may give written notice of an appropriate motion to be moved at the AGM. The notice may be accompanied by a statement of not more than 1,000 words relating to the motion.
Under bye-law 20(1)(g), only “appropriate” motions may be included in the notice of the AGM. That is, motions which in the opinion of the Council relate in substance to a matter affecting the affairs of the Law Society or of the solicitors' profession (see also bye-law 1(1)).
In accordance with bye-law 18(2), the last day by which notice of any motion to be moved at the AGM should be received by the chief executive is 5pm on Tuesday 30 August 2022.
Notice of motions may be given by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The final notice of the AGM will be published no later than Monday 12 September 2022.
The Law Society's Hall
113 Chancery Lane
(DX 56 Lon/Ch Lane)