Government proposes New Homes Ombudsman
The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government is seeking views on:
- delivering a New Homes Ombudsman
- proposed legislation to provide better redress for buyers of new build homes
The consultation includes the design and delivery of the New Homes Ombudsman, its powers, remit and how to fund it.
It also seeks views on whether a code of practice should be underpinned in statute as well as the best way to enforce the requirement to belong to a New Homes Ombudsman.
The following areas are covered:
- the role of the ombudsman
- the requirement for developers of new build homes to belong to the ombudsman
- number of ombudsman
- access to the ombudsman
- scheme provider and approval process
- funding the ombudsman
- powers of the ombudsman
- geographical scope
We encourage all those with an interest in new build and a new homes ombudsman to respond.
If you would like your comments to be taken into consideration in our response, contact our Property team.
This consultation closes on 22 August 2019.