- My LS
Seeking new Women Lawyers Division committee members
The Women Lawyers Division (WLD) was set up to help improve the experiences of women solicitors in the profession. We are looking for new members of the division’s steering committee.
The role is open to women solicitors who are committed to supporting women in the profession and achieving gender equality.
Our aim is to create a committee that accurately represents the diversity of the profession as a whole. Applications from newly qualified and senior solicitors are equally welcome.
Who we are
The WLD was established in 2013 to support women lawyers, bring them together to share best practice, and address issues and challenges in a supportive environment.
Membership of the division is free and open to all women solicitors within England and Wales. Members benefit from excellent networking opportunities through a programme of events, up-to-date opinions from industry experts, latest news articles, interviews, access to our social networks and other services.
What we do
The WLD gives members the opportunity to:
- Discuss issues concerning the profession, in particular those that affect women
- Benefit from training, advice, and career guidance
- Network and connect with other women lawyers
- Ensure their views are heard by the Law Society
- Contribute to gender equality campaigns, lobbying activities and consultations.
- Have a clean record/regulatory history with the SRA
- Be able to demonstrate a sound understanding of the issues facing women solicitors
- Be able to outline ideas for the development of the division’s services.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Creative and forward-thinking ideas for events, articles, projects or social media posts on how to tackle these issues with finite resources
- A good track record of collaborative working and of contributing to inclusivity and diversity issues either as an employee or as a volunteer.
Appointments will be based on merit, following an open and transparent selection process.
- The deadline for return of applications is 18 September 2018, 14:00
- Shortlisting of anonymised applications will take place by 25 September 2018
- All candidates will be contacted by 1 October 2018 to inform them if they have been shortlisted
- Shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend an interview at the Law Society on 11 October 2018 (exact timetable will be put together in liaison with candidates)
- The appointment of new committee members will be confirmed in writing by 17 October 2018.
- The first committee meeting after the appointment is scheduled to take place on 22 November 2018, 17:30-19.30, at the Law Society, 113 Chancery Lane, London.
Please email your completed application to email@example.com
Please let us know if you require any assistance with completing your application.
About the Law Society
The Law Society is the independent professional body that works globally to support and represent solicitors, promoting the highest professional standards, the public interest and the rule of law.