Annual Statistical Report 2009
This report describes the size and composition of the solicitors' profession and describes trends in the entry of solicitors to the profession.
- As at 31 July 2009, there were 145,381 solicitors on the roll, an increase of 4.1% on the year before.
- At the same date, 115,475 solicitors held practising certificates (79.4% of those on the roll), an increase of 2.7% on the previous year.
- Since 1979, the total number of solicitors holding practising certificates has grown by 222.8% at an average annual rate of 4%.
- These solicitors were employed in 16,812 separate organisations of which 15,140 were based in England and Wales.
- 85,128, or 73.7%, of solicitors holding practising certificates work in private practice; the remainder work mainly in commerce and industry and the public sector.
- Since 1999, the proportion of practising certificate holders not employed in private practice has increased from 19.5% to 26.3%.
Read the full report below.
Non-members can buy the reports from the Law Society Bookshop, priced £99.