Annual Statistical Report 2010
This report describes the size and composition of the solicitors’ profession and describes trends in the entry of solicitors to the profession.
- As at 31 July 2010, there were 150,128 solicitors on the roll, an increase of 3.3% on the year before.
- At the same date, 117,862 solicitors held practising certificates (78.5% of those on the Roll), an increase of 2.1% on the previous year.
- Since 1980, the total number of solicitors holding practising certificates has grown by 211.5% at an average annual rate of 3.9%.
- These solicitors were employed in 17,238 separate organisations of which 15,420 were based in England and Wales.
- 86,748, or 73.6%, of solicitors holding practising certificates worked in private practice in England and Wales; the remainder worked mainly in commerce and industry and the public sector.
- Since 2000, the proportion of practising certificate holders not employed in private practice in England and Wales has increased from 19.7% to 26.4%.
Read an executive summary of the report below.
Get a copy of the full report
The report is free for Law Society members. To request a copy, please send your name and SRA roll number via email to AnnualStatisticsReport@lawsociety.org.uk
Non-members can buy the reports from the Law Society Bookshop, priced £99.