Appeals against Crown Court decisions

Where to lodge an appeal

The Court of Appeal Criminal Division (CACD) deals with applications to appeal against decisions made by the Crown Court. You should lodge notices and grounds of appeal relating to appeals against conviction and sentence directly by emailing

Forms and guidance

Each substantive application (conviction, sentence and confiscation order) has its own form, called Form NG.

A separate Form NG should be completed for each application being made, and must be drafted and lodged as a standalone application.

These forms are available on the Ministry of Justice website.

Read the full Criminal Procedure Rules on the Ministry of Justice website.

Checklist for appeals

For each substantive application, you must:

  • use the correct Form NG
  • draft it as a standalone application
  • lodge the appeal with the Criminal Appeal Office 
  • wait for an acknowledgement

The CACD urges users to lodge applications carefully to avoid having to apply for an extension of time due to ineffective lodgement. 

Read about what the CACD does on the GOV.UK website

Maximise your Law Society membership with My LS