We’re the independent professional body for solicitors in England and Wales. We’re run by and for our members.
- are the voice of solicitors
- drive excellence in the profession
- safeguard the rule of law
- work to make sure no-one is above the law
- protect everyone's right to have access to justice
- promote England and Wales as the jurisdiction of choice
- promote the vital role legal services play in our economy
- work internationally to open up markets for our members
- defend human rights at home and abroad
- support members with career opportunities, providing networking events and development training
How we work
Solicitors pay their annual practising certificate fee to the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). We receive around 30% of the fee to help fund our work. The rest of our funding comes from commercial activities.
The Law Society Council governs our work. Council members are elected to represent members across England and Wales, including different demographic groups and areas of law.
We use the expertise of our Council members and around 300 volunteer board and committee members to deliver the advice, support and services our members want.
What we do for you
We’re here to help current and future members, supporting you at every stage of your career.
- We offer you career support through a host of events and e-learning through our Professional Development Centre
- Our career development service helps you to make better career decisions
- Our demographic or practice-based communities can help you expand your network and improve your knowledge in specific areas
- Our Gazette jobs board helps you shape your career with expert guidance and new vacancies in print and online
Where we work
We represent solicitors across England and Wales, with offices in London, Cardiff and Brussels.
Our relationship managers work across the regions to make sure members can get news, products and services wherever they’re based.
If you’d like more information, contact us.