Pro Bono Week
Pro Bono Week promotes and supports the work of lawyers who volunteer their services for free to people and organisations who couldn't otherwise afford legal advice. It's part of a global celebration of pro bono that takes place every year.
Pro Bono Week was first held in 2001. It’s endorsed by the Law Society, the Bar Council and the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx), who assist the pro bono sector by:
- publishing a guide to pro bono support (PDF 8 MB)
- raising awareness of initiatives and areas of concern
- organising events and giving support during Pro Bono Week
Pro Bono Week 2021
The 20th Pro Bono Week will take place from 1 to 5 November 2021.
Pro Bono Week offers an opportunity to recognise and support the voluntary contribution made by lawyers across the UK that give free legal help to those in need.
This milestone anniversary will be a pivotal moment to look ahead to the next 20 years of pro bono while shining a spotlight on key moments and cases from the past two decades.
As in previous years, during Pro Bono Week organisations are encouraged to organise events, communications and publications which focus on one of three topics:
- celebrating pro bono – events celebrating those who give back and recent successes in pro bono
- pro bono pathways – events exploring different ways lawyers can volunteer throughout their careers
- effective pro bono – events sharing best practice and discussing what makes an effective pro bono service
Law firms, chambers, legal societies, charities, in-house lawyers, law schools and universities are encouraged to plan events or communication campaigns, both internal or external, to take place throughout the week.
Many organisations will also take the opportunity to publish reports or launch new initiatives to an engaged pro bono audience. Events will be a mixture of online, in-person and hybrid events.
If you’re organising an event, contact the project lead, Mary Dobson.
If you have any questions about Pro Bono Week, email Valerie Robertson, our pro bono policy adviser or visit the Pro Bono Week website.
Follow Pro Bono Week on social media using the hashtags #WeDoProBono and #ProBonoWeek.
Looking for legal advice
The Law Society does not provide legal advice. If you're looking for help getting pro bono support, our page for the public lists some organisations that can help.
Pro Bono Week 2020
Last year’s Pro Bono Week saw over 50 events take place across England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, involving over 2,000 attendees from all branches of the legal profession.
The overarching theme was 'Pro bono: Through the pandemic and beyond' and events included:
- the launch of Pro Bono Week 2020: panel debate; beyond the pandemic
- the use of technology in pro bono (with our president David Greene as a panellist)
- our Pro Bono Charter Forum