- My LS
At some point in your career, you might decide it's time for something new. You may want more of a challenge, a change in career direction or to earn more.
Whatever the reason for wanting a change in your career, it's important to:
- evaluate where you are in your career
- develop clear objectives
- plan your goals and how you'll achieve them
On this page you'll find:
Law Society careers clinic
Dates for 2021: 20 July, 22 July, 28 July, 7 September, 15 September, 5 October, 14 October, 2 November, 11 November, 8 December and 15 December
Time: each one-to-one appointment lasts up to 40 minutes and runs between the hours of 9.30am and 5.30pm
Location: telephone or via Zoom for individuals based overseas (subject to prior agreement)
Who is the clinic suitable for?
- LPC paralegals (including those completing qualifying work experience)
- Trainee solicitors
- Qualified solicitors (including those admitted overseas)
- Returners and career changers who are considering a switch to law
Our careers consultants can share sector insight and offer objective practical advice and tips on the following areas:
- CVs, applications and interviews
- job search strategies
- career planning, including progression or changing career direction
- available options for trainees approaching qualification
- available options for overseas lawyers to work in England and Wales
- how to plan a return to practice after a career break
- how to work more flexibly, including options for a portfolio career
- how to break into law as a career changer
- how to leave practice and change careers
Our consultants are not qualified to offer tax advice, regulatory advice, or business consulting services regarding setting up your own firm or working as a freelance lawyer. Furthermore, they are not able to advise on areas such as applications for practising certificates and professional indemnity insurance.
For further enquiries or to book a place, email email@example.com.
Articles from the Law Society Gazette
Moving on from small firms – what salary should I be seeking in a senior solicitor role?
Rerouting a career path – what would be the best way to get into commercial law?
High street or City – is it really that difficult to move on?
Solicitor-advocate or barrister – which should I go for?
I want to move up – should I stay or should I go? Gaining experience to move into a more senior role
Post-prosecution roles – after a senior prosecution role, what are the options if you don't want to go back to private practice?
Why strategic career moves are helping junior lawyers maximise their earning potential – Douglas Scott Recruitment examines how strategic career moves are helping junior lawyers to progress quickly
This webinar will be exploring the techniques solicitors can use to reset failure as a learning experience if they are considering changing career direction or returning to practice after a lengthy break.
Date:15 September 2021
Time: 2pm to 3.30pm
Career planning for 2021, Q&A with JMC Legal Recruitment (webinar held 23 February 2021)
How to work part-time – the long-held view that part-time lawyers lack commitment is changing
How to combine two careers – is it possible to pursue a second vocation alongside the law?
How to change specialism – the daunting prospect of moving practice area or career sector
How to leave work at the door during the pandemic – dealing with a work/life balance while we're working from home