- evaluate where you are in your career
- develop clear objectives
- plan your goals and how you'll achieve them
On this page you'll find:
Law Society careers clinic
Dates for 2023
15 and 21 June
12 and 18 July
14 and 21 September
19 and 25 October
16 and 22 November
7 and 12 December
Location: telephone or via Zoom for individuals based overseas (subject to prior agreement)
Who is the clinic suitable for?
- LPC paralegals (including those completing qualifying work experience)
- Trainee solicitors
- Qualified solicitors (including those admitted overseas)
- Returners and career changers who are considering a switch to law
Our careers consultants can share sector insight and offer objective practical advice and tips on the following areas:
- CVs, applications and interviews
- job search strategies
- career planning, including progression or changing career direction
- available options for trainees approaching qualification
- available options for overseas lawyers to work in England and Wales
- how to plan a return to practice after a career break
- how to work more flexibly, including options for a portfolio career
- how to break into law as a career changer
- how to leave practice and change careers
Our consultants are not qualified to offer tax advice, regulatory advice, or business consulting services regarding setting up your own firm or working as a freelance lawyer. Furthermore, they are not able to advise on areas such as applications for practising certificates and professional indemnity insurance.
For further enquiries or to book a place, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Articles from the Law Society Gazette
Four tips to advance your legal career this year - the best ways to advance your legal career
Moving on from small firms – what salary should I be seeking in a senior solicitor role?
Rerouting a career path – what would be the best way to get into commercial law?
High street or City – is it really that difficult to move on?
Solicitor-advocate or barrister – which should I go for?
I want to move up – should I stay or should I go? Gaining experience to move into a more senior role
Post-prosecution roles – after a senior prosecution role, what are the options if you don't want to go back to private practice?
Why strategic career moves are helping junior lawyers maximise their earning potential – Douglas Scott Recruitment examines how strategic career moves are helping junior lawyers to progress quickly
Supporting others and creating a mentally-healthy workplace culture (1 and 8 July 2022, 90 minutes each)
Career planning for 2021, Q&A with JMC Legal Recruitment (recorded 23 February 2021)
Changing career direction: what are my realistic options? (recorded 20 April 2021)
Changing career direction: options outside of practice (recorded 20 May 2021)
Changing career direction: hear from those who have successfully changed career (recorded 19 October)
- Networking tips for job hunters (recorded 8 June 2022, 90 minutes)
- How to turn your career ideas into action (recorded 28 June 2022, 90 minutes)
Update and refresher in private client law series:
- probate update (recorded 11 November 2022, 2 hours)
- inheritance tax update (recorded 16 November 2022, 2 hours)
- capital gains tax, income tax and stamp duty land tax (recorded 18 November 2022, 2 hours)
- will drafting (recorded 22 November 2022, 2 hours)
- varying disposition of estates (recorded 25 November 2022, 2 hours)
- trust update (recorded 30 November 2022, 2 hours)
- other recent relevant developments in private client law (recorded 2 December 2022, 2 hours)
You can also purchase all seven sessions as a bundle, which involves a 'buy six, get one free' discount.
How to work part-time – the long-held view that part-time lawyers lack commitment is changing
How to combine two careers – is it possible to pursue a second vocation alongside the law?
How to change specialism – the daunting prospect of moving practice area or career sector
How to leave work at the door during the pandemic – dealing with a work/life balance while we're working from home
Date: 12 October 2022
Time: 1pm to 2:30pm
This webinar is for individuals across all levels of PQE who have hit a career crossroad and are considering how they can work more flexibly by building a portfolio career.
A portfolio career allows you to incorporate multiple jobs instead of the traditional full-time role.
Date: 14 September 2022
Time: 1pm to 2:30pm
This free webinar with Q&A is aimed at individuals who want advice on how to impress at job interviews. The session is suitable for solicitors across all levels of PQE and will be particularly useful for those planning a return to the profession after a career break.