At some point in your career, you might decide it's time for something new. You may want more of a challenge, a change in career direction or to earn more.
Whatever the reason for wanting a change in your career, it's important to:
- evaluate where you are in your career
- develop clear objectives
- plan your goals and how you'll achieve them
On this page you'll find:
- help to progress your career
- advice about changing roles
- guidance on how to work differently
- Law Society webinars
Law Society careers clinic
Dates for 2020: 15 June, 13 July, 15 September, 15 October, 4 November, 8 December
Time: Appointments last for 45 minutes and will be scheduled from 9:30am to 6pm
Location: Law Society, London or by phone
Our careers clinic is for Legal Practice Course (LPC) paralegals, final seat trainees and qualified solicitors.
- a one-to-one consultation with a career coach/legal recruiter
- careers advice on applying for training, interview practice, changing career direction, returning after a break, transferable skills and alternative careers
To book a place, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Articles from the Law Society Gazette
Moving on from small firms – what salary should I be seeking in a senior solicitor role?
Rerouting a career path – what would be the best way to get into commercial law?
High street or City – is it really that difficult to move on?
Solicitor-advocate or barrister – which should I go for?
I want to move up – should I stay or should I go? – gaining experience to move into a more senior role
Post-prosecution roles – after a senior prosecution role, what are the options if you don't want to go back to private practice?
How to work part-time – the long-held view that part-time lawyers lack commitment is changing
How to combine two careers – is it possible to pursue a second vocation alongside the law?
How to change specialism – the daunting prospect of moving practice area or career sector
Our webinars are free to members.