At some point in your career, you might decide it's time for something new. You may want more of a challenge, a change in career direction or to earn more.
Whatever the reason for wanting a change in your career, it's important to:
- evaluate where you are in your career
- develop clear objectives
- plan your goals and how you'll achieve them
On this page you'll find:
Law Society careers clinic
Remaining dates for 2022
17 and 25 May
15 and 21 June
21 and 26 July
6 and 14 September
5 and 13 October
10 and 16 November
7 and 15 December
Location: telephone or via Zoom for individuals based overseas (subject to prior agreement)
Who is the clinic suitable for?
- LPC paralegals (including those completing qualifying work experience)
- Trainee solicitors
- Qualified solicitors (including those admitted overseas)
- Returners and career changers who are considering a switch to law
Our careers consultants can share sector insight and offer objective practical advice and tips on the following areas:
- CVs, applications and interviews
- job search strategies
- career planning, including progression or changing career direction
- available options for trainees approaching qualification
- available options for overseas lawyers to work in England and Wales
- how to plan a return to practice after a career break
- how to work more flexibly, including options for a portfolio career
- how to break into law as a career changer
- how to leave practice and change careers
Our consultants are not qualified to offer tax advice, regulatory advice, or business consulting services regarding setting up your own firm or working as a freelance lawyer. Furthermore, they are not able to advise on areas such as applications for practising certificates and professional indemnity insurance.
For further enquiries or to book a place, email email@example.com.
Articles from the Law Society Gazette
Moving on from small firms – what salary should I be seeking in a senior solicitor role?
Rerouting a career path – what would be the best way to get into commercial law?
High street or City – is it really that difficult to move on?
Solicitor-advocate or barrister – which should I go for?
I want to move up – should I stay or should I go? Gaining experience to move into a more senior role
Post-prosecution roles – after a senior prosecution role, what are the options if you don't want to go back to private practice?
Why strategic career moves are helping junior lawyers maximise their earning potential – Douglas Scott Recruitment examines how strategic career moves are helping junior lawyers to progress quickly
Career planning for 2021, Q&A with JMC Legal Recruitment (recorded 23 February 2021)
Changing career direction: what are my realistic options? (recorded 20 April 2021)
Changing career direction: options outside of practice (recorded 20 May 2021)
Changing career direction: hear from those who have successfully changed career (recorded 19 October)
Update and refresher in private client law series:
- probate update (recorded 11 November 2022, 2 hours)
- inheritance tax update (recorded 16 November 2022, 2 hours)
- capital gains tax, income tax and stamp duty land tax (recorded 18 November 2022, 2 hours)
- will drafting (recorded 22 November 2022, 2 hours)
- varying disposition of estates (recorded 25 November 2022, 2 hours)
- trust update (recorded 30 November 2022, 2 hours)
- other recent relevant developments in private client law (recorded 2 December 2022, 2 hours)
You can also purchase all seven sessions as a bundle, which involves a 'buy six, get one free' discount.
How to work part-time – the long-held view that part-time lawyers lack commitment is changing
How to combine two careers – is it possible to pursue a second vocation alongside the law?
How to change specialism – the daunting prospect of moving practice area or career sector
How to leave work at the door during the pandemic – dealing with a work/life balance while we're working from home
This series of two 90-minute live webinars will help attendees to develop effective practices to promote a more positive mental health culture within law firms/organisations.
Date: 1 and 8 July 2022
Time: 12pm to 1.30pm
Cost: £95 + VAT
This free webinar with Q&A is aimed at individuals who want to learn how to network with confidence and tap into the hidden jobs market.
Date: 8 June 2022
Time: 1pm to 2.30pm
This live webinar is aimed at solicitors with five to 10 years' PQE facing a career crossroads or undecided on next steps.
The session will explore considerations and options for developing your career to enable you to succeed with your ambitions at a time where the careers of lawyers no longer follow set patterns.
Date: Thursday 19 May 2022
Time: 12pm to 1.30pm
Cost: £25 + VAT