Diploma in Local Government Law and Practice
The Diploma in Local Government Law and Practice is a one-year self-study course that can help:
- improve your knowledge of local government law and practice
- demonstrate your commitment to the field
- your career progression to more senior posts
Who can apply
There’s a limited number of places on the diploma course each year.
To enrol on the course, you must be a solicitor, trainee solicitor, chartered legal executive or barrister working in one of the following categories:
- a local authority (category one)
- an analogous agency or authority (category two)
- employed by a law firm with the necessary experience to meet the criteria for being awarded the diploma (category three)
In order to be awarded the diploma, you must:
- complete the course projects
- pass the examination
- have two years' experience in either local government with a local authority or in a law firm carrying out local government work
The course is made up of two parts:
- submission of three written projects
- an online exam on local government law and practice
The projects will cover legal, administrative and political issues.
Each project will usually consist of one problem question. You’ll be expected to do extensive research and reading over a period of about two months and submit a paper on each project.
When you’re enrolled on the course, we’ll send you guidance to help you prepare for the projects.
The online exam is on 14 June 2023.
Meet the diploma board/Q&A/presentations
A remote Q&A session is usually held in December. Candidates enrolled on the course will have an opportunity to attend a remote presentation on 8 December 2022.
It’ll give you the opportunity to:
- meet the diploma board members
- get guidance on the preparation of the projects and exam
- attend sessions on topics of relevance to local government legal matters
|Fee type||Fee (excluding VAT)||VAT||Total cost|
|Course fee and examination||£1,648.00||£329.60||£1,977.60|
Deferment fee (one year)
|Examination re-sit fee||£103||£20.60||£123.60|
If you do not have local authority funding, you can apply to the Local Government Legal Society Trust Fund for a bursary. The fund will not meet the full cost of the course.
How to apply
Do not send files larger than 18 MB.
The deadline for submission is 19 August 2022.
Once we've confirmed your place on the course, we'll send you an invoice.
The course fee is £1,648 + VAT.
If you have any questions about the diploma, contact us.
Call: 020 7320 5797
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday