- My LS
Planning your career
By the time you've qualified and reached the stage of applying for jobs, you should have a clear idea of what area of law you want to work in.
If you’re newly qualified you'll probably have some relevant work experience from volunteering and your period of training.
If you’re already working and want to take the next step in your career you should think about how you want to progress.
If you’re changing career, your experience and industry insights may be useful for certain law firms, especially if the firm has clients in your previous industry. Look at firms’ recruitment information to find out which may value your skills and experience.
Preparing for job seeking
Before applying for jobs, look at your knowledge, experience and skills, and think about:
- your strengths and weaknesses
- your experience
- the types of work and areas of law that interest you
- skills that you want to develop
- the qualities you can bring to an employer
- where you want to work and the opportunities that are available
You should leave enough time to research and prepare applications to improve your chances of success.
How to prepare for a video job interview during the pandemic – tips for video interviews from Sellick Partnership
Marketing yourself: Recharge webinar (96 minutes)
Changing career direction during Covid-19: Q&A with JMC Legal Recruitment (webinar held 18 November 2020)
Changing career direction during Covid-19: Q&A with JMC Legal Recruitment (webinar held 24 November 2020)
Law Society careers clinic
Dates for 2021: 19th January, 10th February, 9th March, 20th April, 18th May, 15th June, 13th July, 7th September, 5th October, 2nd November, 8th December
Time: Appointments last for 45 minutes and will be scheduled from 9.30am to 6pm
Location: Law Society, London or by phone
Our careers clinic is for Legal Practice Course (LPC) paralegals, final seat trainees and qualified solicitors.
- a one-to-one consultation with a career coach/legal recruiter
- careers advice on applying for training, interview practice, changing career direction, returning after a break, transferable skills and alternative careers
To book a place, email firstname.lastname@example.org.