Susan Acland-Hood discusses the challenges and changes to courts during the coronavirus pandemic.
Advice and information for civil litigators on civil justice, litigation funding and the courts.
- Brexit transition period21 Apr 2020
- Court reform programme: events25 Feb 2020
- EU legal professional privilege post-Brexit17 Jun 2020
- LPP and client confidentiality12 Mar 2020
- Legal professional privilege12 Mar 2020
- Litigants in person: guidelines for lawyers25 Feb 2020
- Working with clients who may lack mental capacity05 Jun 2020
- Working with vulnerable clients case studies05 Jun 2020
- A client needs to swear an affidavit. Can a solicitor colleague administer the oath?20 Apr 2020
- Are fees for swearing oaths, affidavits and taking declarations subject to VAT?20 Apr 2020
- Can I administer a joint statutory declaration?20 Apr 2020
- Can I administer an oath to a child deponent?19 Feb 2020
- Can I alter a sworn affidavit?20 Apr 2020
- Can I charge for time spent preparing a Larke v Nugus statement?20 Apr 2020
- Can I enter into a damages-based agreement for a divorce case?11 May 2020
- Can I still issue cost recovery proceedings if a client complains?20 Apr 2020
- Can a trainee solicitor advise on an employment settlement agreement?20 Apr 2020
- Can an affidavit be amended after it was sworn?20 Apr 2020
- I act for a client who has made no payment on account of costs. Can I terminate the retainer?20 Apr 2020
- I am preparing a bill of costs in a contentious matter. Is it correct that I cannot charge for incoming letters?20 Apr 2020
- My client has not instructed me for three months. Can I apply to come off the court record?20 Apr 2020
- My client is paying the other side’s legal costs. Should the opponent’s solicitors issue a VAT invoice?20 Apr 2020
- What are the four categories of fee earner?20 Apr 2020
- What must I tell a client before suing for non-contentious fees?20 Apr 2020
News and articles
The Law Society is the independent professional body for solicitors. We are the voice of solicitors, driving excellence in the profession and safeguarding the rule of law.
Maximise your membership
My LS gives you access to the latest news, events, books and resources to help you excel within your practice.Find out more
Our Civil Litigation Section is a community for civil litigators and mediators. We provide support and guidance including webinars, events, features and case commentaries.
Our Personal Injury Accreditation is a recognised quality standard for practitioners representing victims and their dependents in personal injury matters.
What we're doing for you
The Law Society is run by and for our members. We are the voice of solicitors, driving excellence in the profession and safeguarding the rule of law. With the guidance of our specialist committees:
- we influence the legislative and regulatory environment in the interest of the profession and the public
- we keep members up to date with sector news and develop advice and guidance to support good practice
- we promote the profession and legal services nationally and we promote England and Wales as a global legal centre