It is committed to providing access to justice through free legal advice by:
- promoting, facilitating and developing pro bono across the solicitors’ profession and at law schools in England and Wales
- facilitating and supporting pro bono legal services and access to justice for people in need and without the means to pay
- connecting smaller charities and not-for-profit organisations – supporting communities and people in need – with pro bono legal services and enabling them to deliver their mission
- advocating for policy change to address barriers to pro bono and working collaboratively to improve access to justice
We’ve been a major funder of LawWorks since 2011.
Be part of a network of over 100 law firms and in-house legal teams committed to providing access to justice for vulnerable people in our communities.
Membership benefits include:
- a weekly news bulletin
- legal and professional skills training
- help with setting up a pro bono clinic
- advice on delivering pro bono, including online resources
- access to pro bono professional indemnity insurance including for in-house legal teams
- networking opportunities, including a pro bono forum, roundtables and conferences
- regular information about the range of volunteering opportunities available, through LawWorks (including Free Legal Answers and Pro Bono Connect) and its clinics network
- exclusive access to its not-for-profits programme which provides pro bono legal advice for charities and community groups
- structured training, supervision and mentoring by LawWorks in-house solicitors to support lawyers to develop expertise in areas of social welfare law and assist individuals beyond initial advice
- eligibility to nominate and be nominated for LawWorks’ prestigious pro bono awards
- engagement in policy work, developing LawWorks’ policy voice on pro bono and access to justice issues
To find out more, visit the LawWorks website.
Pro bono case studies
Solicitors regularly do pro bono work for individuals, charities and community groups who cannot afford to pay for legal advice or representation.