How do I confirm qualifying work experience?
How do I provide confirmation of qualifying work experience for a candidate looking to qualify through the Solicitors Qualifying Exam route?
You are able to confirm qualifying work experience (QWE) if you are a solicitor of England and Wales or a compliance officer for legal practice (COLP).
It’s not a requirement that you hold a practising certificate or work in same firm as the candidate.
If you are able to confirm the QWE, you must:
- review their work during the relevant period of work experience, and
- receive feedback from the person or persons supervising their work
Subsequently, you will need to confirm:
- the length of work experience that was carried out
- the work experience was providing legal services and the candidate had the opportunity to develop some or all of the competencies for solicitors and
- that no issues arose during the work experience relating to the candidate's character and suitability to be admitted as a solicitor
Once the candidate applies for admission to the roll of solicitors, the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) will decide whether they have fulfilled all criteria and are competent to practise as a solicitor.
For more information on the SQE route to qualifying, see:
While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this article, it does not constitute legal advice and cannot be relied upon as such. The Law Society does not accept any responsibility for liabilities arising as a result of reliance upon the information given.
Have you got a practice question?
Call the Practice Advice Service on 020 7320 5675 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Practice Advice Service is staffed Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.