How can I amend an error in a court order?

I represent a claimant in a personal injury claim. I’ve received the final order from the court, but an error makes its interpretation unclear. How can it be amended? Do I need to inform the defendant’s solicitors?

Clerical mistakes in judgments or orders, or errors arising from any accidental slip or omission, may at any time be corrected by the court under rule 40.12 of the Civil Procedure Rules.

A party may apply for a correction without notice.

There’s no time limit for such an application.

Maximise your Law Society membership with My LS


While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this article, it does not constitute legal advice and cannot be relied upon as such. The Law Society does not accept any responsibility for liabilities arising as a result of reliance upon the information given.

Have you got a practice question?

Call the Practice Advice Service on 020 7320 5675 or email

The Practice Advice Service is staffed Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.