Can freelance solicitors offer immigration services?

I’m a solicitor considering becoming a freelancer. Can I offer immigration services?

Immigration service providers are regulated under section 84 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 and Schedule 18 of the Legal Services Act 2007.

They must be authorised by a designated professional body if not registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner.

As freelance solicitors are regulated but not authorised as a recognised sole practice by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA), they are unable to offer immigration services.

For more information, see the SRA’s guidance on:


While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this article, it does not constitute legal advice and cannot be relied upon as such. The Law Society does not accept any responsibility for liabilities arising as a result of reliance upon the information given.

Have you got a practice question?

Call the Practice Advice Service on 020 7320 5675 or email

The Practice Advice Service is staffed Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Maximise your Law Society membership with My LS