Conflict of interests
Refusing to provide a service
When taking on new clients, you should make sure they have the information they need to make informed decisions about your services.
Many clients are not regular users of solicitors’ services. Often they will be experiencing stressful situations, such as a divorce or moving house. You should always keep in mind the requirement in the SRA Code to treat your clients fairly.
You should have procedures to:
- identify potential conflicts of interest that mean you should not take on the client
- find out your client’s requirements
- identify whether your client is vulnerable or needs support to be able to access your services
- give your client the right information to support them and to meet your legal responsibilities
- comply with anti-money laundering requirements
> Next section: Conflict of interests