Can a trainee represent a client in the Upper Tribunal?

As a trainee solicitor, am I able to represent a client on appeal to the Upper Immigration Tribunal?

You have no freestanding right to provide any advice on any immigration matter simply by virtue of being a trainee solicitor.

But, when you’re acting under the supervision of a qualified person such as your employer, you would be entitled to appear in the Upper Tribunal.

You would still not have a right to appear in the Upper Tribunal on a judicial review, where the rights of audience would be the same as the High Court.

For more information, see:


While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this article, it does not constitute legal advice and cannot be relied upon as such. The Law Society does not accept any responsibility for liabilities arising as a result of reliance upon the information given.

Have you got a practice question?

Call the Practice Advice Service on 020 7320 5675 or email

The Practice Advice Service is staffed Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Maximise your Law Society membership with My LS