England and Wales: Global legal centre
We’re promoting the benefits of England and Wales as a global centre for legal services.
England and Wales is a global legal centre as:
- English and Welsh law is flexible, predictable and stable
- we have a strong and reliable judicial system
- we have a world-class legal profession
- England and Wales is the jurisdiction of choice for many international deals
Why choose England and Wales?
In December 2019, we launched a report, England and Wales: A World Jurisdiction of Choice, that outlines the strengths of the law, jurisdiction, and legal professionals of England and Wales, as well as London’s advantages as a seat of arbitration.
- information and case studies on commercial litigation conducted in England and Wales by international businesses
- testimonials from lawyers qualified in other jurisdictions
- explanation of how England and Wales’ status as a global legal centre will not be affected by Brexit
This report sets out the benefits of English law, the jurisdiction, and legal services provided by our members.
We share this report with international businesses interested in using English law and we encourage solicitors to share it with their clients.
Beyond the England and Wales: A World Jurisdiction of Choice report, we’ve developed a range of materials to help you highlight the benefits of English and Welsh law to your clients.
- download our England and Wales: Global legal centre campaign leaflet (PDF 828 KB)
- watch videos of senior solicitors speaking about why they value England and Wales as a global legal centre, and share on social media
- request copies of our promotional leaflets to share with your clients
- send us your testimony on why you value English law
England and Wales during COVID-19: keeping the wheels of justice turning
Business and property courts in England and Wales remain open.
Our expert judiciary and litigation solicitors have adapted to keep the wheels of justice turning.
Due to their nature, 85% of national and international business disputes are being concluded remotely using technology.
English and Welsh law continues to provide businesses with the flexibility, predictability and stability necessary to meet their needs.
English and Welsh solicitors are ready to help keep your business moving in these challenging times.
English Law, UK Courts and UK Legal Services after Brexit (PDF 320 KB) – courts and tribunals judiciary guidance on the position of UK courts and legal services post-Brexit
Our work in the media
In 2021, following the UK’s exit from the EU and the end of the transition period at the close of 2020, we thought it valuable to take stock of how English law will be used in different jurisdictions in future.
We have created a series with the Gazette, ‘Postcards from abroad’, where our members examine their day-to-day lives working and living in different jurisdictions and how English law is used in their practice.