Diploma in Local Government Law and Practice
The Diploma in Local Government Law and Practice is a one-year self-study course which can help:
- you improve your knowledge of local government law and practice
- demonstrate your commitment to the field
- your career progression to more senior posts
Who can apply
There’s a limited number of places on the diploma course each year.
To enrol on the course, you must be a solicitor, trainee solicitor, chartered legal executive or barrister in one of the following categories:
- working in a local authority (category 1)
- working for an analogous agency or authority (category 2)
- employed by a law firm with the necessary experience to meet the criteria for being awarded the diploma (category 3)
In order to be awarded the diploma, you must:
• complete the course projects
• pass the examination
• have two years' experience in either local government with a local authority or in a law firm carrying out local government work
The course is made up of two parts:
- submission of three written projects
- a written exam on local government law and practice
The projects will cover legal, administrative and political issues. Each project will usually consist of one problem question. You’ll be expected to do extensive research and reading over a period of about two months and submit a paper on each project. When you’re enrolled on the course, we’ll send you guidance notes to help you prepare for the projects.
The written exam for this year is in June 2021. You’ll be allowed books or other written material with you. You can also have internet access.
An annual seminar is usually held in December. It’ll give you the opportunity to:
- meet other students and the diploma board members
- get guidance on the preparation of the projects and exam
- attend sessions on topics of relevance to local government legal matters
You'll be sent an invite in November.
|Fee type||Fee (excluding VAT)||VAT||Total cost|
|Course fee and examination||£1,600||£320||£1,920|
|Deferment fee (one year)||£258||£51.60||£309.60|
If you do not have local authority funding, you can apply to the Local Government Legal Society Trust Fund for a bursary. The fund will not meet the full cost of the course. Contact our accreditations team for more information.
How to apply
Complete the correct application form:
- category 1 – complete the diploma application form (Word 339 KB)
- category 2 and 3 – complete the diploma prerequisite application form (Word 340 KB)
Full details of which application form to complete can be found in the diploma prospectus (PDF 519 KB).
Do not send files larger than 18 MB. If necessary, send your supporting documents in separate emails.
We’ll send you an invoice when we receive your application.
The course fee is £1,600 + VAT.
If you’re in category 2 or 3, we’ll send you an invoice once we’ve considered your application and confirmed your place on the course.
If you have any questions about the diploma, contact us.
Call: 020 7316 5550
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday