Where should I refer a potential claim about a defective drug?

My client wants advice about a potential claim involving a defective drug. We do not specialise in litigation and are unable to assist but would like to help the client find a solicitor. What should we do?

It’s likely that a claim of this nature will fall within the category of a multi-party action.

You should contact the Multi-Party Action Information Service, which is run by our Practice Advice Service.

We hold a database of multi-party actions along with information about contemplated actions and participating firms.

Firms are invited to contact the service with information about current or contemplated actions.

Once a group litigation order has been made, the service relies on firms supplying a copy of the order to the Law Society as stated in paragraph 11 of practice direction 19B of the Civil Procedure Rules.

Find out more about the Multi-Party Action Information Service


While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this article, it does not constitute legal advice and cannot be relied upon as such. The Law Society does not accept any responsibility for liabilities arising as a result of reliance upon the information given.

Have you got a practice question?

Call the Practice Advice Service on 020 7320 5675 or email practiceadvice@lawsociety.org.uk.

The Practice Advice Service is staffed Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Maximise your Law Society membership with My LS