Practising in the Coroner's Courts – updated guidance
On 13 September 2021, the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) published new resources to help solicitors who practise in inquests in the Coroner’s Courts.
The resources, which include a set of competences, are designed to help solicitors understand the expected standards when practising in inquests.
The key competences are:
- keeping your knowledge and understanding of the jurisdiction and procedure of inquests in the Coroners’ Courts up to date and applying it effectively
- dealing effectively with vulnerable parties
- adapting your communication and engagement to the purpose of inquests and the circumstances of the people who are involved
- being aware of the support offered by other organisations and working with them, where appropriate
There's also a series of videos, which cover:
- how to communicate and engage effectively with vulnerable people in an inquest
- representing bereaved families in an inquest
- practising effectively in inquests
- helping the inquest run smoothly
- the importance of working with support organisations