Annual Statistics Report 2017
The Law Society Annual Statistics Report 2017 describes the size and composition of the solicitors' profession and describes trends in entry to the profession.
- At 31 July 2017, there were 139,624 solicitors with practising certificates (PC) and 181,968 individuals in total on the roll of solicitors. The number of solicitors with practising certificates was 2.5 per cent higher than a year earlier.
- In 2017, for the first time, female PC holders outnumbered male colleagues – 50.1 per cent of PC holders were women.
- Representation of Black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) groups amongst PC holders rose to 16.5 per cent in 2017.
- In 2017 the numbers of PC holders working both in-house and in private practice were higher than a year earlier. The share of private practice solicitors in the market further stabilised in 2017 – as private practice numbers increased 2.2 per cent on 2016 figures to 93,155.
- Among the 9,488 private practice firms, the limited company structure continued to grow in popularity. Partnerships, including sole practices, accounted for 45 per cent of firms – down from 60 per cent five years earlier.
- At 5,719 the number of trainee registrations in the year to 31 July 2017 remained static on 2016 figures.