How do I apply to come off the court record?

I’ve made several attempts to contact one of my matrimonial clients, but I’m without instructions and there’s no further work I can do. How can I apply to come off the court record?

Part 26 of the Family Procedure Rules deals with change of solicitor.

Under Part 26.3, you may apply for an order using Form D11 (application notice) declaring that you have ceased to act.

Notice of the application must be given to your client unless the court directs otherwise and must be supported by evidence.

Where the court makes such an order, it will be served on every party to the proceedings.

For more information, see the Family Procedure Rules.

Maximise your Law Society membership with My LS


While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this article, it does not constitute legal advice and cannot be relied upon as such. The Law Society does not accept any responsibility for liabilities arising as a result of reliance upon the information given.

Have you got a practice question?

Call the Practice Advice Service on 020 7320 5675 or email

The Practice Advice Service is staffed Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.