Meeting the requirements
The SRA’s guidance sets out the process it expects you to follow.
You’ll need to:
- reflect on your practice to identify any learning needs. You can use the competence statement and apply it to your practice
- plan how you’ll address your learning needs – think about the learning activities you’ll do
- complete the learning activities
- evaluate how the learning activity has met the learning need and how you’ll use your skills and knowledge in your practice
- record how you carried out this process, to show that you’ve taken steps to maintain your ongoing competence. Law Society Learning or the forms in the SRA’s online toolkit template may help you.
The standard of competence should be set by your firm. But the SRA sets a minimum level of competence needed to practise as a solicitor.