You are here:
  1. Home
  2. For the public
  3. Using a solicitor
  4. Quality marks
  5. Family mediation

Family mediation

When a relationship ends, especially if you are parents, sorting out problems such as how your children will spend their time with you or how to sort out your finances and assets can cause legal nightmares. Family mediation can help you resolve things without going to court.

Our accredited family mediation experts can help you work out issues such as:

  • how to make arrangements for future parenting
  • resolving your money issues
  • working out divorce arrangements

You might also want to look at the Children Law and Family Law pages. Members of those schemes can help with some of the issues listed above.

Why choose a member of the Law Society's Family Mediation Accreditation?
The Family Mediation Accreditation is the quality mark for qualified specialists in family mediation. All accredited mediators are trained and qualified to assist you in talking together to help you agree a solution that works for you, and if you are parents, for your children’s future, without going to Court. This can save time and money and can help avoid disputes in areas like divorce and separation.

The Law Society's Family Mediation Accreditation is approved by the Family Mediation Council (FMC) and accredited mediators must ensure that they adhere to the FMC's Code of Conduct. Once accredited, mediators are also able to provide mediation funded by the Legal Aid Agency.

To become accredited, mediators have to undergo a training process before being able to apply for accreditation, which includes:

  • mandatory training
  • resolving your money issues
  • meeting with and working under supervision of a suitably qualified and experienced mediator professional practice consultant
  • undertaking a minimum number of mediation sessions
  • complying with ongoing training requirements

They are then able to apply for accreditation where they are assessed to ensure that they demonstrate the required level of competence and knowledge.

Concerns and complaints

If you have a concern or a complaint about how your mediator has handled your case, you should talk with the mediator first and they should provide you with details of their complaints procedure. If it doesn’t prove possible to resolve your complaint at first hand with your mediator or his or her firm or practice, you may be able to make a complaint to the mediator’s membership organisation or the Legal Ombudsman.

If you have a complaint about a member of a Law Society accreditation scheme, please email us at or telephone us on 0207 316 5550.