Lexcel is our legal practice quality mark for client care, compliance and practice management. It sets the standard for:
- client care
- risk management
- people management
- structure and strategy
- financial management
- information management
- file and case management
Lexcel can help your practice or in-house legal department to:
- effectively manage risk
- attract new business and increase client retention
- reduce client complaints and increase client satisfaction
- comply with new practice rules and regulatory requirements
- increase profitability and efficiency by using standardised processes
- access lower insurance premiums and receive favourable treatment from insurers
All legal practices and departments are eligible to apply for Lexcel, regardless of size or the type of work carried out. This includes sole practitioners and local authority legal departments.
Lexcel England and Wales v6.1 is for practices and organisations operating in England and Wales. There are two versions designed for:
- legal practices – partnerships, limited liability partnerships, sole practitioners, incorporated law firms and alternative business structures (ABSs) regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
- in-house legal departments – including those in corporations, the public sector (including ABSs), law centres, not-for-profits and government organisations
Lexcel International v5.1 is for practices located in foreign jurisdictions or for branch offices overseas.
How to apply
To apply for accreditation, your practice will need to:
- complete a self-assessment checklist for initial accreditation
- submit the application form
- be assessed by an independent body
The accreditation process takes around six months. It can take longer if we receive high volumes of applications or if you do not give us all the information we need.
The length of the assessment will depend on the number of:
- practice areas
- fee earners and support staff
- other quality standards held – such as Investors in People or ISO 9001
Membership of the accreditation lasts for three years with an annual maintenance visit at the end of year one and year two.
You’ll need to pay an annual registration fee to be accredited.
We’ll send you an invoice for the registration fee when we receive your application.
The cost is calculated using the number of fee earners. This includes:
- admitted and non-admitted fee earners
- trainees who carry out fee-earning work
- part-time fee earners
- those who manage/supervise a team and carry out fee-earning work
If you’re a private practice applying for Lexcel International v5.1, the cost is calculated using the number of partners in your practice.
You’ll also need to pay an annual assessment fee directly to the independent assessment body you’ve chosen. Each assessment body has its own charging structure.
Lexcel England and Wales v6.1
|Number of fee earners||Registration fee||Total (including VAT)|
|2 to 15||£225||£270.00|
|16 to 40||£320||£384.00|
|41 to 85||£499||£598.80|
Lexcel International v5.1
|Type of practice||Number of staff||Registration fee||Total (including VAT)|
|Private practice||Sole practitioner||£62||£74.40|
|2 to 4 partners||£181||£217.20|
|5 to 7 partners||£237||£284.40|
|8 to 10 partners||£309||£370.80|
|11 to 15 partners||£361||£433.20|
|16 to 25 partners||£499||£598.80|
|26 to 50 partners||£598||£717.60|
|Non-private practice||1 to 5 fee earners||£62||£74.40|
|6 to 15 fee earners||£181||£217.20|
|16 to 40 fee earners||£309||£370.80|
|41 to 60 fee earners||£418||£501.60|
|61+ fee earners||£536||£643.20|
|Other fees||Cost||Total (including VAT)|
|Appeal against decision to refuse accreditation||£258||£309.60|
Promoting your accreditation
You can order a range of free materials such as logos, certificates and window stickers to use.
This database is updated monthly.
Call: 020 7320 5933
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
We’ve produced toolkits to help you achieve the required Lexcel Standard, which include ready-made templates which can be easily and quickly customised to meet your firm's needs.
Existing Lexcel publications have not yet been updated to reflect Lexcel v6.1.
- Lexcel Assessment Guide v6
- Lexcel People Management Toolkit, 2nd edition
- Lexcel Client Care Toolkit, 3rd edition
- Lexcel Financial Management and Business Planning Toolkit
- Lexcel Information Management Toolkit, 2nd edition
- Lexcel Risk Management Toolkit, 2nd edition
- Lexcel Small Practice Toolkit
The next toolkit to be updated for v6.1 will be the Lexcel Financial Management and Business Planning Toolkit.