Becoming a judge – free workshops for Black, Asian and ethnic minority lawyers
Join a free workshop to:
- feel more confident about applying
- prepare for the process
- hear from judges about their experiences
The 2023 course consists of two half-day workshops, taking place as a virtual, judge-led discussion group:
- led by a former Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) lay panel member
- supported by sitting judges who can provide you with credible feedback
The workshops take place in September/October:
- Monday 4 September, 5.30pm to 9pm
- Monday 11 September, 5.30pm to 9pm
- Monday 2 October, 5.30pm to 9pm
- Monday 9 October, 5.30pm to 9pm
Who can apply
The workshops are designed to support Black, Asian and ethnic minority solicitors who are interested in becoming a judge.
- have a minimum of seven years’ post-qualified experience (PQE)
- be considering applying for a judicial appointment in the near future
Candidates who've completed, or applied for, the Pre-Application Judicial Education (PAJE) programme are strongly encouraged to apply.
Before attending the workshops, you'll need to carry out preparatory work, such as drafting your competency-based examples.
All participants are expected to attend both workshops.
How to apply
Applications are open between Monday 10 July and Friday 4 August.
You'll need to supply a CV and covering letter outlining:
- why you consider yourself suitable for judicial appointment
- how you believe you would benefit from this course
- whether you've applied for judicial roles previously
- whether you've taken part in any support schemes towards judicial appointment (such as Law Society activities, JAC schemes, the judicial work shadowing scheme)
For more information, email Jerry Garvey.
Reviews from past attendees
“All the judges were so giving of their knowledge, as well as providing excellent feedback and invaluable tips and pointers.”
“I gained so much from tonight’s session and will definitely apply all the feedback given to sharpen the examples in my self-assessment.”
“Thank you for organising this evening’s workshop, which I found very insightful and extremely helpful.”
“The workshop was very useful and enlightening. Really appreciate your efforts in highlighting the opportunity/challenges for us all.”