Can I apply to remove a closed firm from the court record?

I’m acting for a defendant in civil litigation. The claimant's solicitors closed some time ago, although the firm remains on the court record. I’ve written to the claimant directly but have not received a response. Is there anything that I can do to amend the court record?

Yes. Any such change should be reflected on the court record. Usually, the claimant or their new solicitors would file the appropriate notice of change.

However, as this has not been done, rule 42.4 of the Civil Procedure Rules allows any other party to apply for an order declaring that the solicitor has ceased to be the solicitor acting for the other party in the case.

Notice of the application must be given to the party to whose solicitor the application relates, unless the court directs otherwise.

If the application is successful, a copy of the order must be served on every other party to the proceedings and a certificate of service filed at court.


While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this article, it does not constitute legal advice and cannot be relied upon as such. The Law Society does not accept any responsibility for liabilities arising as a result of reliance upon the information given.

Have you got a practice question?

Call the Practice Advice Service on 020 7320 5675 or email

The Practice Advice Service is staffed Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Maximise your Law Society membership with My LS