Threats against human rights defenders in Colombia
Who we wrote to
The president of Colombia.
What’s the issue
We’re concerned over the high personal risk faced by human rights defenders in Colombia.
It’s been reported that human rights defenders have been increasingly targeted because of their work to protect their collective land rights against bogus claims to their territory.
We’re alarmed that these human rights defenders have suffered numerous attacks by neo-paramilitary groups in various regions in Colombia, which seems to be a new development following the 2016 Peace Agreement.
Some recent cases include the:
- death of human rights defender José Merlín Murillo, member of the group Comunidades de Autodeterminación, Vida, Dignidad (CAVIDA)
- death of human rights defender Mario Castaño Bravo on 26 November 2017
- increase in threats against human rights defenders in the territory of Jiguamiandó, including Elías Antonio Úsuga Duque, who was reported to have forcibly disappeared on 18 November 2017 and then reappeared alive on 23 November 2017
- death threats received by human rights defender Danilo Rueda, and lawyer Daniel Prado
- attempted assassination, allegedly perpetrated by members of a neo-paramilitary group, against Germán Graciano Posso
What we asked for
We urged the relevant authorities to:
- guarantee the safety of all lawyers and human rights defenders in Colombia
- ensure that appropriate investigations are carried out into the murders of the human rights defenders José Merlín Murillo and Mario Castaño Bravo
- make sure that appropriate enquiries are made into the cases involving the community members Elías Antonio Úsuga Duque and Willington Cuesta in the territory of Jiguamiandó
- carry out thorough investigations in the case of the attempted killing of the community leader Germán Graciano Posso, of the Peace Community in San José de Apartadó
- end all acts of threats and harassment against lawyers and human rights defenders so that they can carry out their work without retaliation or risk to their personal safety
- comply with the country’s obligations under regional and international law
October and November 2017 – Danilo Rueda is the victim of three acts of intimidation
11 to 14 October 2017 – José Merlín Murillo disappeared from the collective territory of La Cacarica in the Bajo Altrato region. He was later found dead
28 October 2017 – Willington Cuesta was allegedly threatened by paramilitary groups
18 November 2017 – Elías Antonio Úsuga Duque forcibly disappeared
23 November 2017 – Elías Antonio Úsuga Duque reappeared
26 November 2017 – Mario Castaño Bravo was killed in the territory of the community La Larga Tumaradó in Urabá
29 December 2017 – Germán Graciano Posso survived an assassination attempt allegedly perpetrated by members of a neo-paramilitary group