Join our Dispute Resolution Section committee
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Dispute Resolution Section committee.
The Dispute Resolution Section is the community for all lawyers and professionals who resolve disputes in and out of court.
The community welcomes all civil and commercial litigators and litigation support professionals, providing members with support to achieve best practice.
- help us keep members up to date with recent developments
- take part in virtual working and task groups for various projects
- support on planning conferences, magazines and events
What’s in it for you?
As a committee member you will have the opportunity to:
- influence, inform and shape the Law Society’s support to lawyers and professionals who resolve disputes
- showcase your expertise and raise your profile with our 200,000 members
- expand your professional network and connections
- work closely with knowledgeable and enthusiastic peers and staff
What we’re looking for
We’d like to hear from litigators from across the country and from firms and departments of all sizes.
Due to current gaps on the committee, we’d like to encourage:
- litigators from larger firms
- commercial litigators in high-value business disputes, and
- professional development lawyers
We're interested in diverse and well-rounded committee members who have:
- sound knowledge and understanding of the key issues and challenges in their area of expertise
- the experience and personal drive to deliver support and offer innovative ideas
- commitment to serving the legal community
A big part of the committee members’ contribution is to help us to design, deliver and disseminate content such as events, so you should be prepared to:
- speak, chair and present to large audiences of peers and clients
- utilise your network of contacts
- contribute to written articles
We estimate the average time commitment, spread out across the year, to be half an hour a week. This includes:
- quarterly committee meetings
- working groups or projects
Meetings usually take place online, with up to two committee meetings per year taking place in person in London (with opportunity to participate online).
We’ll reimburse travel expenses according to our expenses policy.
Appointments to the committee start in February 2023.
Committee members will serve a term of up to three years, backdated to 1 November 2022.
After three years, you’ll have the opportunity to apply for a further three-year term.
Committee members can serve for a maximum of six years.
How to apply
To apply, email email@example.com with:
- your CV
- a statement of up to 500 words, outlining how you can assist the Law Society to support litigation lawyers and professionals, including practical examples
The deadline is midnight on Friday 27 January 2023.
Appointments will be made on merit, based on experience, expertise and skills.
A selection panel will consider the applications and we’ll contact shortlisted candidates.
Virtual interviews are likely to take place between 23 January and 10 February.
The first committee meeting is on 29 March 2023.