Apply to become a senior circuit judge – 2023 vacancies
The Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) is recruiting for two senior circuit judges (designated civil judge) in West London and Leeds.
Designated civil judges have overall responsibility for the civil work of the county courts and district registries in a given area, including:
- providing leadership to the civil judiciary who sit at courts in that area (circuit judges, district judges and fee-paid judiciary)
- ensuring efficient judicial business at those courts
Who can apply
- have at least seven year's post-qualification experience as a solicitor or barrister
- live within reasonable travelling distances of the courts
- be able to commit to a full-time role for at least three years before retirement
- be a citizen of the UK, another Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland
You should also have at least 30 days' experience sitting as a judge.
Before you apply
Guidance and support
Frances Kirkham – following a non-traditional route to become a senior circuit judge
Resources for members of the Solicitors Judges Division
Webinar: Next steps for solicitor judges – email email@example.com to request a recording, created in collaboration with the Judicial Office and Judicial Appointments Commission.