Join our Leadership and Management Section committee
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Leadership and Management Section committee.
The Leadership and Management Section provides guidance on best practice and innovation to law leaders, managers and operational staff.
The Section delivers essential practical knowledge, focusing on legal practice management and challenges, including:
- business development
- client care
- quality and regulation
- help us keep members up to date with recent developments
- take part in virtual working and task groups for various projects
- support on planning conferences, magazines and events
What’s in it for you?
As a committee member you will have the opportunity to:
- influence, inform and shape the Law Society’s support to law firm managers and leaders
- showcase your expertise and raise your profile with our 200,000 members
- expand your professional network and connections
- work closely with knowledgeable and enthusiastic peers and staff
What we’re looking for
We’d like to hear from experts across the UK and from firms and departments of all sizes to help us develop our annual programme for the Section.
We encourage experienced managers to apply, in particular we’re looking for:
- managing partners
- chief executives
- department heads
- business managers
- practice managers
- management consultants
- chief operating officers
- legal operations heads
- operational managers (marketing, PR, business development, innovation, strategy, human resources, knowledge management, client relationships, communications, finance, legal, risk, accountants and business)
We're interested in diverse and well-rounded committee members who have:
- sound knowledge and understanding of the key issues and challenges in their area of expertise
- the experience and personal drive to deliver support and offer innovative ideas
- commitment to serving the legal community
A big part of the committee members’ contribution is to help us design, deliver and disseminate content such as events so you should be prepared to:
- speak, chair and present to large audiences of peers and clients
- utilise your network of contacts
- contribute to written articles
Currently, we have gaps in the larger firms and we’d like to encourage experts with large-firm backgrounds to apply.
We also have opportunities for a small number of exceptional consultants and advisors to law firms to join the committee.
We estimate the average time commitment, spread out across the year, to be half an hour a week. This includes:
- quarterly committee meetings
- working groups or projects
Meetings usually take place online, with up to two committee meetings per year taking place in-person in London (with opportunity to participate online).
We’ll reimburse travel expenses according to our expenses policy.
Appointments will begin in February 2023.
Committee members will serve for up to three years, backdated to 1 November 2022.
After three years, you’ll have the opportunity to apply for a further three-year term.
Committee members can serve for a maximum of six years.
How to apply
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- your CV
- a statement of up to 500 words, outlining how you can assist the Law Society to support law firm managers, including practical examples
The deadline is midnight on Friday 27 January 2023.
Appointments will be made on merit, based on experience, expertise and skills.
A selection panel will consider the applications and we’ll contact shortlisted candidates.
Virtual interviews are likely to take place between 23 January and 10 February.
The first committee meeting is on 15 March 2023.